Many people fall in love with mochi as they have many different unique flavors. Would you like to try to learn how to make a mochi?
Pumpkin mochi, fresh cream mochi, chocolate mochi… are all lovely desserts people would want to eat just by looking at them.
You don’t need to go to Japan to buy these sweets. After reading the 3 ways to make Mochi below, from traditional flavors to the attractive variations, you can also make your own mochis.
3 ways to make Mochi
How to make red bean mochi
Mochi with red bean paste is a traditional mochi, simple but gives a very delicious taste that you will enjoy at the first bite. It has an elastic softness like a cotton ball.
Ingredients: 100g glutinous flour, 150g red bean, 20g tapioca powder, coconut milk, sugar.
How to do it:
– Prepare the filling: Wash the red beans, remove the damaged beans, then soak it in water for 2 hours. After that, let it dry and cook with coconut milk. After the beans is cooked, let it cool and grind it or put in a blender, add sugar and some salt. Take pureed beans and shape them into small balls.
– Make the shell: Prepare a large bowl, add glutinous rice flour + tapioca flour + filtered water. Knead until the dough does not lump.
– Put the dough aside for 10 minutes, then steam it for 20 minutes. After that, add sugar and continue to knead it, then steam again.
– Put a little flour on your palm, form a round flat shape with the cooked dough, fill the center with beans and wrap it. Put the mochi in the refrigerator compartment for about 2 hours to eat it.
How to make green tea mochi
Here we will make amochi variation with fresh cream filling.
Ingredients: 100g glutinous flour, 15g green tea powder, 100ml whipped cream of your choice.
How to do it:
– Shape fresh cream into a round shape, then put in the refrigerator.
– Roast glutinous flour, then put in a bowl, pour water into it and mix well until it becomes thick, add sugar and continue mixing.
– Gradually add green tea powder to the glutinous flour mixture, stir well and cover the bowl with food wrap, microwave it, get it out and stir it every 30 seconds. Then put it back into the microwave.
– Sprinkle glutinous flour on the table, flatten the mochi dough and cut into small squares, place a cream ball in the middle of each dough piece, and wrap it.
– Wrap the mochi with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
How to make cheese mochi
Cheese mochi is a creative alternative to traditional soft mochi, with this dish you will be rewarded with crispy shell and soft filling.
Ingredients: 100g tapioca flour, 40g glutinous rice flour, 80g Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, fresh milk, butter, baking powder.
How to do it:
– Prepare a nonstick pot, add 130ml milk + butter and cook on low heat, then turn off the heat when the butter is melted, add tapioca flour and knead the dough until it is very soft.
– Take a bowl, add sugar + a bit of baking powder + Parmesan cheese + eggs, mix well, then add the dough in step 1 and knead.
– Put some cooking oil or flour on your hands, take a small portion of the newly kneaded dough to shape it into balls that is easy to eat.
– Put parchment paper into a tray, place the cakes on top and put in the oven to bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes, then take the cake out and enjoy it.
For traditional mochi you can change the filling with the ones you like such as sweet potatoes, bananas… Wish you success!